Friday 10 August 2012

Spagetti & meatballs with spinach

 Pasta is quite possibly the biggest life saver in most peoples kitchens! 


It can be delicious when cooked slowly with time and patience, or when whipped up quickly when your in need of something tasty FAST. 
My standard meal of choice when I'm really too busy to cook is spicy tomato and basil pasta (very simple and ready in 15 mins) but it can be adapted in so many ways to make it that little bit more interesting when you have a little more time.
Here I made spaghetti with the usual pasta sauce, but with the addition of meatballs and spinach (which was really yummy).
I usually make tea for my family and or Scott, but this night I was home alone, Scott was busy, my parents were out and I fancied a little feast for myself - so this is what I had...



Spaghetti & meatballs with spinach: ( Makes 2 servings)
Ingredients-
Handful of spinach
Spaghetti (enough for two people)
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
Meatballs (mine were from Lidl)
Salt and pepper
Chili flakes
handful basil leaves

Place the meatballs into a heavy based frying pan. I would usually add olive oil to my tomato and basil sauce, but there is enough fat from the meatballs so you don't need too here.
Fry/saute the meatballs until cooked (about 8-10 mins). Now add your tin of chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper, and chili flakes ( These are optional). Cook for another 4 - 5 mins or until some of the water from the tomatoes has evaporated, and then add your handful of spinach. Taste and check the seasoning, add your fresh basil leaves and that's it!!!  
I would usually have grated  Parmesan with my pasta, but if we don't have any I also like good old fashioned British cheddar! 

 I like to add a handful of spinach to most pasta/chili dishes as I also feel a little healthier when I see the vibrant green colour! It's an ingredient I always buy form the supermarket as I know I can always sneak it into things for the added iron without really noticing the flavour.

My standard tomato and basil recipe is even simpler :
Tin chopped tomatoes (or plum tomatoes)
olive oil
basil leaves
salt & pepper

Then you can add things like chili flakes, anchovies, olives, smoked paprika, left over chicken , anything that takes your fancy! This simple recipe is actually my life saver and always leaves me feeling like I've eaten well even though its so easy!

Happy pasta eating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment