Friday 20 April 2012

Art project - Jelly insects

As some of you may know, I'm currently doing an art foundation course in Wrexham, and I'm about to embark on my final major project which I'm very excited about. I don't usually blog about my art work so much, but I particularly like these jelly insects I made as part of my last project. I used plain gelatin for the most part, and added some green food dye to one set. I wouldn't consider myself a photographer, but photography is a way I can show many of the day to day things I either find interesting or create. But as someone who just takes pictures for fun, I was quite pleased with the results! The jelly reminds me of a sort of foetus, like the insect are being born.
They have a fragile quality to them, and the gelatin is reminiscent of a block of ice, preserving the insects over a long period of time.
This one in particular looks to me like a fossil.
The green dye looks quite good here as it adds a bit more contrast, but generally I think the clear gelatin is more effective as it
doesn't detract from the way the light refracts the insect inside.

I personally like art that has a scientific visual to it, such as Damien Hirst's work including his shark in the tank. Also Candy Jernagen's documentation of everyday life and surrounding's. It brings to attention the beauty and interest in everyday life, and makes you stop to notice the tiny details. My work used to be a lot more decorative and lack, well, substance I guess, but if Ive learnt anything this year, its that it can be a lot more fascinating and motivating to try something a little more meaningful and take a swing towards a science investigation style of art.

1 comment:

  1. These are really good! Your project sounds really interesting, good luck in your final major project! :)

    ReplyDelete